Established Atlantic Canadian professional writers and visual artists, working in any medium, and whose work draws on the natural environment are invited to apply to the Port Bickerton Lighthouse Artist-in-Residence Program. The program is designed to provide work space and accommodation in a retreat environment where participants can work independently on their own project(s) for a two week time period. Please note: At this time, we are only accepting applications from Atlantic Canadian artists/writers who are living in Atlantic Canada.
Applying to the Residency Programme: (applications will be accepted for the 2021 season, from September 1, of 2020 – January 26, 2021 (received by midnight)
Submission Guidelines (Please read carefully)
To apply for a residency, your package must include a cover page with name, address, phone number and website if applicable. You must submit a proposal that includes the following:
- CV or résumé
- one of below:
- 10 photos,or JPEGs (sent electronically) of your current work (visual artists )
- a 5 to 10 page current sample of your writing (writers)
- preferred dates of the two week residency (between May 1 and November 1 2021)
- planned program of work while in residence (250 words)
- spatial requirements for work production (if any)
- written plan to provide community with open studio/artist talk or workshop.
- a brief statement (100 words) explaining why you feel you need a residency retreat.
- You may elect to stay for periods of time ranging from one to two weeks.
- You will have private access to the residence for the time period allotted.
- Family, friends and pets are not permitted to stay during residency.
- You are responsible for your own meals.
- You are responsible for all your own equipment and materials.
- The director will work with you to co-ordinate your stay and to ensure that the terms of the Residency are maintained.
All applicants will be notified within two weeks of application deadline.
Some element of public access must be provided at the end of the residency, such as an artist’s talk, “open studio”, or workshop to be determined in consultation with the Director of the Artist in Residence Programme. One artist will be selected yearly for the residency. Artists must advise of their preferred length of stay with two preferences of time frames between May 1st and November 1st, 2021.
NOTE: A vehicle is highly desirable.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Must be received by midnight, January 26, 2021.
Mail your application with a $20.00 non-refundable application fee to:
Port Bickerton and Area Planning Association, c/o Wilda Kaiser
P.O. Box 142
Bickerton West, Nova Scotia